Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

Christian College embraces the spirit of ANZAC with the help of the Bellarine Historical Society

The Bellarine Campus of Christian College recently unveiled a mural depicting scenes relating to the First World War. The College received an ANZAC community grant for the work which will be used as a back drop for ANZAC Day and Remembrance Day Ceremonies and to assist the students with their studies of this era in our history. They were also supported by Drysdale RSL Through a year 9 unit of study in English and Humanities, students in conjunction with artist Andrew Plant were able to use a book written by one of our members, Mr Bob Willey called ‘The Drysdale Boys and One Girl’ to give them inspiration for the mural. Many of the images depicted on the mural can be found in photos in the bo

1937 Clifton Springs photos found in London

Recently, some photos dated ‘Easter 1937’ were donated to the Bellarine Historical Society by the Clifton Springs Golf Club and there is an interesting story that goes with this donation. Mr Ray Boddy had been a visitor to Australia and was familiar with Clifton Springs, so when 4 photos were found in 1980 during a demolition of a house in Chingford, Essex, England, he immediately thought of the Golf Club at Clifton Springs and after storing them for a number of years he donated them to that club. The members of the Golf Club realized the historic significance of these 80 year old photos and passed them to the Bellarine Historical Society to add to our already vast collection of photos of th

"Kings" photos found in Op-Shop

A packet of photographs was recently handed to our Society from an Op-Shop. Among these photos were two with the name, Mr H King, Upper Skene St, Newtown, written on the back. After some research it was discovered to be Henry King and his wife Ruth (Wise). Henry, originally from Somerset, established Fairview Gardens, 45 acres at Fyansford with his father. Henry’s prize-winning apples from their orchards, were exhibited at the local Agricultural Shows in the 1870's. He was one of the first in the Geelong region to recognise the dreaded phylloxera vastatrix in the vines of the region. Henry and his wife moved to Upper Skene Street in c.1889. In 1908 Henry was appointed Fruit Inspector for the

 

P.O. Box 53
Drysdale, 3222
Australia

  • Facebook

©2017 by Bellarine Historical Society. Proudly created with Wix.com