Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

The Bellarine Peninsulas First Road Board and Toll Gate

In 1854 one of the first Government sponsored and locally elected bodies on the Bellarine Peninsula was formed--the Portarlington Road Board. This board was remarkable for the fact that its first Chair was Caroline Newcomb who along with other large landholders took a considerable interest in the development of roads in the district. They also invariably assisted the work by supplying men, horses and carts and materials when work was going through their land. The initial Road Board had only limited means of funding. Toll gates were their main source of funding. Even Melbourne had toll gates (See sketch done in 1853 showing Princes Bridge in the background.) The first toll gate on the Bellari

"Drysdale to Cambridge and Return"-Shelise Robertson on 9th June 1.30 pm at Drysdale Court

"Guest speaker Shelise Roberson was a student at Bellarine Secondary College from 2003-2008 (dux in 2008) She has studied for a Master of Philosophy at Cambridge University and also worked and volunteered in collections, education, events, and visitor services across various museums and galleries in Cambridge including: The Fitzwilliam Museum, The Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology, and The Museum of Classical Archaeology. Shelise is currently doing her Doctorate at Deakin University in Literature and History. Come along and hear Shelise share her passion for History and her experiences working at Cambridge."

 

P.O. Box 53
Drysdale, 3222
Australia

  • Facebook

©2017 by Bellarine Historical Society. Proudly created with Wix.com