Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Archive
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square

When the Grand Hotel was really Grand

Portarlington’s Grand Hotel with 46 rooms was built to capitalise on the flourishing tourist trade of the 1880’s, its proximity to the Portarlington Pier brought tourists via the regular steamer service. The Sea Baths, beautiful beaches and beach activities were welcomed by the holiday makers who could enjoy the grand facilities of this beautiful hotel The early history of the hotel is not clear. The original owner and licensee was a Mr Samuel J Davis who appeared to start construction in 1887 and it was completed in 1888. Mr Davis was an early tobacconist and cordial manufacturer in Portarlington. He appeared to dispose of these businesses and mortgaged his properties in order to buy the l

Clifton Springs--A Heritage Site

"Clifton Springs is an archaeological site on the Bellarine Peninsula where a 19th century Mineral Springs and Spa Complex operated from around 1875-1920, the only 19th century 'seaside' mineral springs resort in Victoria. Located on Corio Bay, it was a convenient location for visitors including holiday makers and the infirm to reach by sea especially following establishment of a regular bay steamship service to the Springs from 1890. At least seven springs of different types and qualities exist along the foreshore, concentrated in a 50 metre stretch of beach between the remains of two jetties and includes the cove known as the 'Dell'. European records of the mineral springs first appear on

 

P.O. Box 53
Drysdale, 3222
Australia

  • Facebook

©2017 by Bellarine Historical Society. Proudly created with Wix.com